Chef Bernhard Koll takes Club Owners on an appetising culinary journey to the Andaman Sea with his succulent sea bass recipe to create a taste of Koh Samui at home.
How to cook a delicious Grilled Barramundi Steak by Chef Bernhard
The subtle flavours of freshly grilled barramundi, or Asian sea bass, conjure up tropical dining experiences on Thailand’s stunning southern islands, with white sands, sparkling waters and blue skies. As the Executive Chef at Anantara Bhoput Koh Samui Resort & Spa and Club Resort Anantara Vacation Club Bophut Koh Samui, I love to create a seaside char-grill menu that fits with the stunning al fresco deck dining at our incredible Full Moon restaurant, right by the beachside infinity pool and elegant lily pond garden.
Barramundi steak is a firm and moist white fish, which flakes and melts in the mouth. Ideal for a summer grill course, my Grilled Barramundi Steak recipe creates a light yet surprisingly hearty main for lunch or dinner. The delicate texture and sweet flavour of the barramundi balances wonderfully with the crunch of sautéed baby leeks, sugar snaps and spring onions, while a sprinkle of sundried tomatoes lifts the flavours of the whole dish almost magically.
I use a balsamic-miso dressing to adds a sour and salty tang, giving the recipe an Asian-inspired twist and that extra layer of intense flavour. Pommes Parisienne are a perfect complement, served on the side, cooked just right so they are light and fluffy on the inside with a deliciously crispy, golden outside.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- Barramundi (steak) (180 g)
- Onion (finely diced) (20 g)
- Butter (unsalted) (20 g)
- Baby leeks (sliced) (30 g)
- Spring onion (30 g)
- Sugar snaps (30 g)
- Sundried tomatoes (10 g)
- Yukkon gold potatoes (30 g)
- Olive oil (15 ml)
- Balsamic-miso reduction dressing (20 ml)
- Lime juice (10 ml)
- Season the fish and add the lime juice.
- Grill gently on both sides until golden brown and cooked through but still moist.
- Using a melon baller create spheres out of the uncooked potato. Season and gently fry until cooked through and brown.
- In a pan, sauté the onion in the butter until transparent, before adding the leeks, spring onions and sugar snaps. Fry lightly, keeping the crispness and add the sundried tomatoes and seasoning.
- Place the fish by the sautéed vegetables, in two stacked pieces, and drizzle on the balsamic-miso reduction dressing, creating a layer of dressing on the plate to place the potatoes on at the side of the fish.
Enjoy your Grilled Barramundi Steak and dream of your next Anantara Vacation Club adventure and dining experience!
A taste of Anantara Vacation Club at home celebrates signature recipes, incorporating traditional ingredients, from the Club’s Chefs and Mixologists; ranging from refreshing cocktails to aromatic entrées and tantalising desserts, reflecting the incredible culture and appetising cuisine of different countries and regions around the world, as well as the wonderful variety of our Anantara Vacation Club stays.