Explore the excitement and wonder of Thailand’s capital with incredible Bangkok experiences recommended by our Anantara Vacation Club team.
Bangkok as a vacation destination is about as exciting as it gets; luxury resort stay? Check! Upscale shopper’s paradise? Check! Indigenous culture and modern-day adventure? Check! Incredible sky bars and spectacular restaurants? Check!
With so much to see and do, we gathered our Bangkok Team’s Top 3 recommendations to guide you to the real city gems away from the hubbub of the city.
Bangkok’s Top 3 Must-See Attractions
1. Temples and the Grand Palace
Glittering temples sparkling against the beautiful blue Bangkok skies should be on top of your must-visit list. They give you an insight into the fascinating culture of Thailand and are a welcome sanctuary from the chaos of the city.
- Soak up the tranquil atmosphere of Wat Pho and marvel at the renowned Reclining Buddha, before taking a massage in the temple grounds.
- Dip into a slice of India and the colourful world of Sri Mahamariamman, Bangkok’s main Hindu temple.
- Visit the Grand Palace, home to royal residences and Wat Phra Kaew, with its jade stone statue; the most sacred Buddhist temple in Thailand.
- Climb the canalside Golden Mount up to Wat Sakret, created using earth taken from the construction of the canals (klongs). With incredible murals and a row of bells to ring for good luck, look out at amazing, panoramic city views.
- The largest seated gold Buddha statue in the world was hidden for over 200 years and only rediscovered by accident. Discover a fascinating history at Wat Tramit (Golden Buddha) in Bangkok’s must-visit Chinatown. It’s estimated the gold in the statue is worth over USD 250 million!
2. Floating Markets and Pottery Island
Experience a sense of history at any of the floating markets outside the city and at a unique riverside island community within the capital, which come to life every weekend and where the traditional ways of life from yesteryear can be found.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market takes you 100 km from the city and into another world where you can experience nature and culture in a vibrant scene. Set off early as this is a morning market!
- Close to Bangkok, Amphawa Floating Market is busy but still retains an authentic feel. Eat grilled seafood from boat barbecues; visit a zoo in a temple and a temple in a tree!
- Closer still to the city is the floating market of Taling Chan, a charming day out with wonderful stalls selling anything and everything and boat trips on the klongs to visit a traditional wooden Thai school.
- Worth a day trip, Koh Kret is Bangkok’s only island! Located on the Chao Phraya River, the small lanes and traditional earthenware pottery stalls feel a million miles away from the city.
3. River Cruises
The cool of the Chao Phraya River and the discovery of waterside communities along the klongs is a visual and cultural adventure where you can see the city from a totally different perspective and truly experience an iconic setting.
- Take a cultural voyage of discovery aboard a restored antique rice barge with a river cruise to Ayutthaya, where the ruins of the ancient city of Siam are preserved in a unique historical park; a UNESCO World Heritage Centre.
- Glimpse life by the water and the real Thai culture of Bangkok with a tour of the city’s canals, with Bangkok Riverside’s Klong Guru. Have an authentic insight into the city’s rich riverside culture and heritage with interesting stops along the way, lunch and a puppet show at a waterside art gallery.
- Savour a romantic evening of fine Thai cuisine aboard a 100-year-old teak barge with our Manhora Dinner Cruise on the Chao Phraya River looking out at the stunning city lights and floodlit cultural treasures of the city.
Whether you choose a standard room or a suite, your stay at Club Resort Anantara Vacation Club at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn , with its floor-to-ceiling windows, cityscape views and proximity to all the best attractions, will be the perfect place to call home during your time in Bangkok; or relax along the banks of the Chao Phraya River in an oasis of greenery at Club Escape Anantara Bangkok Riverside Resort & Spa, featuring balconies from which you can admire serene river and garden views.