A taste of Anantara Vacation Club at home is our blog feature which celebrates signature recipes incorporating traditional ingredients from the Club’s chefs and mixologists. Recipes ranging from refreshing cocktails to aromatic entrees and tantalising desserts reflect the culture and cuisine of different regions, as well as the wonderful variety of our Anantara Vacation Club Resorts.
Bali’s Special Sumatran Beef Rendang – A taste of Anantara Vacation Club at home
A mouth-watering, slow-cooked spicy beef curry and traditional Indonesian classic, Rendang is also popular in Singapore. It is usually served during special festive occasions and celebrations and is considered one of the most delicious dishes in the world.
Beef top side (1 kg)
Garlic (50 g)
Shallots (200 g)
Ginger (fresh) (50 g)
Turmeric (fresh) (50 g)
Galangal (150 g)
Candlenut (50 g)
Red Chilli (250 g)
Coriander (ground) (2 tbs)
Black pepper (ground) (2 tbs)
Salt (1 tbs)
6 Salam leaves .
5 Turmeric leaves
5 Kaffir lime leaves
5 Lemongrass stalks
6 Fresh chillis
Vegetable oil (150 ml)
Coconut milk (4 litres)
Coconut (shredded) (250 g)
- Sauté the chopped garlic, shallot, ginger, fresh turmeric, galangal, candlenut and red chilli on a low heat for a few minutes.
- Add the coriander, fresh chillis, black pepper and leaves and stir to create a fragrant, aromatic paste.
- Add the beef, cut into bite-size pieces, half a cup of water and the coconut milk and shredded coconut.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for at least 2 hours until the meat is tender and the sauce thickens to become a rich stew.
- Remove the lemongrass stalks and add the oil to slightly sauté the curried meat.
- Garnish with coriander and serve in a bowl with steamed rice.
Today’s special dish is brought to you by Chef Dadi from Anantara Vacation Club Bali Seminyak.
To view the complete Anantara Vacation Club blog series, and stay informed about tips, reviews and news, please click here.